Saturday, February 12

New York Style Crumb Cake

I tried to resist I really, really did but I succumbed and purchased this book - Baked Explorations

After trying the Burnt Sugar Bundt Cake which was delicious, I toddled off to look at the book and it hopped into my cart. Now I haven't tried any other recipes but the Crumb Cake yet - though the list to try is long, but the Crumb Cake is DELICIOUS  plus it's a big cake which is necessary in this house and it's super easy. 

And as always I tweaked it a tad - it has ALOT of sugar and butter and whilst that isn't such a bad thing right, I tried to behave and cut them both down a wee bit.

So the recipe I tweaked is as follows.  Baked at 180 deg Celicius for about 40 minutes in a lamington pan.

So I mixed together

3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon or to taste, I didn't measure oops! 180g melted butter - they used more, but I weaned it back a wee bit.  2 1/2 cups plain flour.  I mixed the dry and then mixed in the butter, to make the crumb topping, it is divine!!


Then in a mixer I popped.  2 1/2 cups plain flour, 3/4 teas baking powder, 1 teas bicarb soda, 180g softened butter, 1 cup caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1 1/4 cups light milk, teaspoon of vanilla extract and mixed slowly till combined, then whizzed it up until fluffier and slightly lighter in colour.


Then pour the cake base into a lined pan and sprinkle on the crumb topping - it's delicious just out of the oven warm with ice-cream or great in lunchboxes, though a bit messy with the crumbly top!

 




3 comments:

  1. Yum, crumb cake always makes for a delicious treat and that topping looks fantastic. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, I'll be stopping by for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in the fun again.

    ReplyDelete