Pages

Friday, February 3

Bubby and Me - Lala Skirt for One Thimble Issue 14

I tested the Lala Skirt for Bubby and Me Creations .  This dress is being featured in Issue 14 of One Thimble

This is a super cute skirt, that works bestwith lightweight fabrics.  It only has a few pattern pieces and is a relatively quick sew despite the gathering needed. 

I again used stash fabrics, a gorgeous cotton poplin which I had hand dyed. 

I made the size 9 for my DD which fit perfectly, though I'd probably size up to the size 10 just for length for my next one (I have some poly tulle waiting in the wings for it) but as its the end of our long holidays I'll probably wait on making it. 


The hems are done with a rolled hem, which makes it quick, but if you are using the poly tulle, no need to hem them, there is no fraying. 




The poplin is about the heaviest weight I would use a voile, light tulle, chiffon or the like is the best match for the  skirt to give the drape that you want.   Its a cute fun skirt, with lots of variation to look dependant on fabric.   Would make a lovely older party skirt in the right fabric as well.

Tee is a basic sleeveless singlet. 

Petite Stitchery Trillium Tunic and Maxi for One Thimble Issue 14.

 I had the pleasure of testing the Trillium Tunic and Maxi for Petite Stitchery  which is featured in One Thimble Issue 14 .

Its not that easy to find up to date modern pdf's for older girls, whilst my DD still fits into size 8 width wise, she is quite tall so needs a 10 or 11 in length.  She doesn't want ruffles and frills, but wants big girl clothes. 

I made two versions.   This is the maxi sleeveless version, combining chambray with a lightweight floral print - both from stash - I have such a large one, I'm trying super hard to sew it down just a wee bit (I have fabric from one end of downstairs to the other, I'm sure Mr Cherub would be grateful to have it just in the one room lol)





Still working on my photography skills, that's my mission for this year, but they are better. I think than they used to be.  Mind you my model is not always co-operative and the day we took these it was super dooper windy.   This version is light and floaty and perfect for hot summer days. 


I also made the tunic length with sleeves, this will work great in the cooler days over leggings or jeans.  Whilst it does work over shorts, the back is longer so can cover some shorts.   I used a Liberty floral print teamed with a check. 

The pattern itself is nicely constructed with the bodice being fully lined.  The sleeve is not cut on the fold.   You can make the front plain or fancy - I think a pin tucked version would be nice.  You can mix and match fabrics.    It was easy to do the buttonholes as they are done before the bodice is fully constructed - my machine doesn't like too much bulk, so it was nice and simple to do these.  I did change the placket slightly for me - but it was just a slightly different construction method, the one shown works fine too.  

I like that they have a quick construction guide, so if you've made it before you can just quickly skim and get what you need from the instructions. 

Thursday, January 19

Bella Sunshine Designs - Alice Dress

I've been testing a few more patterns lately and this was the latest test.  



Alice is a vintage inspired dress featuring a peter pan collar with or without a bound edge, inverted pleats, cap sleeve, optional belt and the dress is fully lined.   There is an invisible zip to close the back.




My daughter is tall and slender and following the measurement chart I ended up with an 8 width and an 11 length.

I for the first time used the layers function - for me I mostly sew to sell, so I rarely use this function as I print and trace out the size I need.  As I was testing I used the layer function to print the size 8 and the size 11 and then I blended the sizes to ensure the correct fit - there are instructions in the pattern on how to blend the sizes, but there is also a video here.  It worked really well and I didn't have to tweak the pattern at all to fit my DD


The bodice has two options for the collar, one plain and one with a bound edge.  It is cute, for me personally I would probably go with a narrower binding in the next version, or even pipe it as that's the look I prefer.  You can find instructions on the binding here .

The skirt has inverted pleats, which sit really nicely and make it a bit more suitable for older girls, plus it has the added bonus of pockets!!  Are you reading this sis?  My sister adores pockets, wants them in everything, but I dislike them, so I generally leave them off.  


The skirt is fully lined, the skirt lining is an aline rather than a pleated version, this does not add bulk to the waist seam.  If you were short on time or fabric, you could easily ditch the skirt lining. 

I found it lovely to test for Melissa, she was open to suggestions and took them on board, she listened to all her testers and found that great balance between her vision and the finished product.   I don't think you are ever going to find a test that is 100% perfect in all the ways you want as everyone wants  something different but I was pretty happy with this one and the only thing I'd change is the collar, so I think that's pretty great.