Sunday, August 28


I love a good sourdough, I really do, but I've yet to find the time, to organize a culture, and then fiddle about feeding it and stuff. I really need to sit and contemplate with something like that, I just like to follow things through with a clear head.

The final baked product! 

So I was delighted to find a recipe in the master chef magazine, issue 13. I enjoyed the episode where they all baked bread at Sonoma, so this was perfect to try out.

You have to start a day ahead and you need to allow 2 1/2 hours to prove. It's delicious and chewy and sour, not uber sour but I found it really yummy and super easy to boot. It's also really scrummy toasted or as French toast.

So here is the recipe.

255g plain flour though I used bread flour, plus extra to dust
1/2 teaspoon of dried yeast


200g plain flour I used bread flour
1/2 teaspoon of dried yeast
1 teaspoon of caster sugar

I didn't follow their precise instructions cause when it comes to baking, I find I get a better result following my instincts so I often do.

To make the starter, place all ingredients and 250 ml lukewarm water in a bowl. I just used a wooden spoon and mixed till smooth. Cover with cling wrap and stand at room temperature for about 12 hours. Now I start mine at about 8 pm at night and leave it till noon the next day, but it's winter and I suspect that in summer, It will either NOT work, or be more sour.

After being left overnight, lots of lovely bubbles and a bit of a sour smell, but not unpleasant

At noon the next day add in flour, yeast, 1 1/2 teas salt, I didn't add quite that much and I used vegisalt and 80 ml of lukewarm water, then I mixed it up with my spurtle. The dough is quite wet, so I found I didn't need to knead it all that much. Once mixed turn onto a floured board and knead till smooth, I just used enough flour so it wasn't unmanageable.

Turned onto the board, it's wet and not at all firm, so only needs gentle handling.

After a light knead

Shape into a ball. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat lightly in the oil, cover with cling film. Cover with cling film and prove 1 hour or until doubled, then knock down.

First Knockdown

Rising for the 2nd time

Cover again and prove for another hour or until doubled. Knock down and turn onto a lightly floured board. I then knead lightly and leave for 15 minutes. Shape it into a rough square and then fold into thirds, pinching the raw edges together.


Transfer to a baking tray, cover lightly and let rise for about 45 minutes or until nearly doubled.

Risen for the last time, floured and scored.

Preheat oven to maximum. Using a very sharp knife, slash the loaf a few times and sprinkle with flour. Bake 10 minutes, reduce heat to 180 degree celcius and bake a further 20 - 25 minutes until it sounds hollow when tapped.

Cool to room temperature and then slice and serve but really who can wait, it's delicious warm!!


  1. I keep my starter in the fridge and remember to feed it about every month or so. It's survived two years now....

    Thanks for this recipe, looks like a nice easy one. :-)

  2. Thankyou, thankyou thankyou so much to make a starter now!!

  3. Thanks leslie, I'm trying this for sure:)