Thursday, January 26

Morning Teas

My sis got me The Hummingbird bakery Cake Days book.

I'm slowly working my way through them, today I made

Raspberry Crumble (the book has blueberries, but you can substitute any berries)

My crumble is a bit fine, I put in a wee bit too much butter and no pecans, oops, the extra crunch would have been good.

For the Crumble, mix together to form a breadcrumb like topping, 25g plain flour, 10g unsalted butter, 25 g soft brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 20g chopped pecans or any nut. Set aside.

For the cake.

Beat together 190g unsalted butter (I actually use salted but then don't add more salt) and 190g of caster sugar. Beat until fluffy, add 3 eggs beating well after each addition.

Sift together 190g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix into the butter mix together with 25ml of whole milk (i used trim)

The batter is quite a thickish one. Stir through 100g of berries of your choice, fresh or frozen. I used raspberries.

Pour into a loaf pan that has been greased and floured, or lined with baking paper. Sprinkle over the crumble top

I baked mine at 180 deg for about 50 minutes, I started checking after 35 mins.






And Gingerbread Cupcakes from the same book.

It says it makes 12 - 16 cupcakes but it depends on what papers and size you use. I'm using the stand alone papers like this I like the little size as they make more cupcakes and they are just the right size for little ones.

Beat together, 140g butter, 200g caster sugar till fluffy, add in 120g golden syrup, 3 eggs, and beat till combined.

Meanwhile sift together 1 tbsp of cocoa (i'm using home brand as it's nice and dark) 1 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp baking powder.

Sift over the dry ingredients and mix, alternating with 240ml of hot milk I again used trim.

Beat together till smooth, only takes a couple of secs. The mixture is very runny compared to some cake mixes.

Bake for about 15 minutes, will depend on size of cupcakes and ice with cream cheese lemon frosting, though I think a super tart glace icing would work great too.

Sorry no pics Celena, I forgot to take some.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Lesley! When it's cool enough here to bake again, I'll be baking up a storm for the freezer and might have to look at the crumble as we have some frozen berries needing using...
    reckon it freezes ok?

    ReplyDelete