Sunday, September 6

Camille Camera Bag

Well looky here its finished, with 10 days to spare until boy cherub's birthday!!!  

As children get older, it's harder and harder to decide on gifts for birthdays, christmas, well you name it.   So boy cherub has been asking for a wee while for a camera, we thought he was a bit too young, but this year he turns 12 - I know where did that go, and high school next year, so we thought now might be a good time.

So we found a good deal on a Nikon and well of course a boy needs a bag to keep his camera in.



I have been slowly collecting some Swoon patterns and to my shame lol I haven't made any up to date …. but don't we all do this???   Anyways of course i didn't have the Camille Camera Bag, so I had to add it to my purchase list and bought it.

In hindsight, I maybe should have made a couple of other Swoon bags before, cause once I printed it out and went OMG what am I doing.  

I had the fabric, I've had it for ages procured from Self Confessed Fabric Addicts .  Super fast post, awesome service and Patricia a is a delight to deal with. 

Then I knew I had seen a hardware kit at Handbag Hardware - again awesome service, fast postage and Kylie very kindly put together an interfacing kit - I gulped a little at the price of the Soft and Stable - BUT OH MY - worth every single cent, which is what Kylie told me :)  So I got the hardware and interfacing from Kylie.  I could have sourced them piece meal, and I did have the fleece here, but I wanted the right stuff for the job - and it made it so much easier.

I also joined the Swoon Pattern Group on Facebook, mind you I've been there for ages and just drooled.  The ladies are very helpful and a search in the group finds you the answers you need. 



Now onto the review.

It's a gorgeous bag - it's not for the faint hearted, and I was thinking I've bitten off way more than I can chew here, but it's done and no broken needles, quite a few pin stabs - I've never seen the appeal of the wonder clips, but I'm rethinking this stance now lol!  My machine was a wee bit unhappy sewing the strap - but my fault as I decided to use some fine wale corduroy for strength and well it was a bit too much for even my semi-industrial machine, I should have cranked up the Bernina 319 but as it's covered in paperwork that seemed just too hard. 

Slow and steady is the way to go - it's taken me some time over 3 days.  It probably took me 2 hours just to cut, interface and plan and it was worth every minute.  Go slowly here, mark everything.  I ticked and checked everything twice and still ended up doing two bits wrong.

Then the flap which was never wracking thinking I was going to run over the tongue depressors and break a needle and it was hard to man handle with all the stabilisation, but it gives a very neat, firm flap on the case.   But I sewed up to the flap back section in a few hours this part took the longest and I worked probably an hour yesterday and another hour and a half today and the bags finished, you could probably do it all in one day but its very intense concentration wise. 



I did when I first looked at the pattern panic and think where are the photos, but really trust me, the pattern is very concise and self-explanatory - should you want/need photos and a extra pair of eyes - I was second guessing myself at the flap part - there is a sew along HERE .  Its really helpful and just gives you the confidence to go on.

What would I change - nothing really, I would have liked some photos, but you can find them on the net.  I'd also like some stitching lines mainly for the flap but this again is just me, the pattern works find without it.   I think its a good size, should hold a camera, some memory cards and spare lens and stuff.

Anyways I think it turned out great, the inside isn't perfectly, perfect, but I've learnt along the way - the outside however looks awesome, with nary a pucker.  I've added lots of notes on my pattern.  All in all a gorgeous bag and I've very happy with it - Shane says it's awesome and I'm pretty sure William will be beside himself when he gets it - but I have to wait 10 days!!!!!  He is counting down the days …. could be that Comic Con is also on that week and he's desperate to go ….. as the Joker!








No comments:

Post a Comment