Pages

Tuesday, January 12

Work Wardrobe Part 2

So moving along, part 2 of the work wardrobe.  The skirt will be made again, as will this blouse, albeit in different fabrics.

The top is another Lekala pattern #4370.  Again we ordered the measurements, just the basic ones and I think the fit is pretty spot on.

I may have sworn sewing the red faille from spotlight, cause well it's a little bit temperamental.

The pattern did give me some moments of WTH???  But slow and steady and I worked it out.  The sleeve is actually pretty cool how it's set in and I'm going to remake this blouse in another fabric, so I'll try and remember to take step by step photos.   

I'd change when the sleeve is hemmed until the end.  I also need to work on the placket/collar attachment, they say to attach the placket first and then the collar, but for me, that didn't sit so well, so I unpicked the placket, put the collar on and then fudged up the placket, i hope to work out that little issue before I make the next one ... just have to think on it.

All up our experience with Lekala, other than the brief instructions have been good, we are happy with the styles and the fit,

The skirt is the Hummingbird by Cake Patterns.  I've honestly had this in stash forever and I've just never gotten past the point of pulling it out and looking at it.   I do however need some work skirts myself, but I'm still dithering.  Anyways Sarah wanted a pencil skirt and bonus this one has pockets which apparently are a must have .... I don't understand why I don't like them lol!  

Now onto the pattern, I do like how you can grade out to your size and this seemed to work well, I cut the pattern from Sarah's hip measurement and then once together we checked for fit and grade it back up to her waist, which we knew as the pattern tells you to cut a size larger on your waist.

However, I did have a problem with my pieces being all different lengths, so skirt side panels, front panel and back skirt.  it wasn't a big issue and we decided the skirt was a tad too short and we added a hem band to it, but I'll have to revisit the tracing to see if it's my mistake or not, the pieces should all fit together.   I did also topstitch the side seams down as I prefer that look.

My invisible zip however IS invisible and pretty bloody perfect.   The skirt can close with a button, snap or hook, we just went with the snap, cause well .... running out of time for making stuff.  She leaves on Monday.

Please excuse the slightly blurry and sticky photos, it's a bit warm here today and I wanted a photo before it got packed away.


No comments:

Post a Comment