After some not so stellar testing experiences and short tests - I think they need a good two weeks, especially when designers and testers are in different parts of the world. I had decided that I would test no longer, except for a couple of in my opinion pattern designers. However, the link to test the Sk8 Skinnies happened to pop into my news feed and as I have an older boy who rarely gets items I can sew for him, apart from tees and shorts, I thought why not. I'd had experience with a query on another of Suzanne's designs and I was answered very quickly both via email and via her fb group and I thought I should give it awhirl.
I wasn't disappointed, Suzanne listened to all the feedback, both good and bad, all suggestions and thoughts and was very gracious and accommodating of her testers. Whilst it was still a reasonably quick test, the pattern went through several versions before being released, which in my mind is a very big plus!!!!
I did have a wee bit of a problem sourcing the stretchy denim required, possibly cause it's summer here and I didn't have a lot of time to source it. So I picked up a denim with minimal stretch that was a good colour for what I wanted and went with it.
The final pattern instructions are good, they explain all the steps. The pattern comes in some different versions, the smaller ones are suitable for nappies (i don't have children in nappies so can't comment on the fit). There are different waists including buttonholed elastic. Faux and traditional fly are also included.
The changes I made ... pretty much none. I printed and sewed the size 14 - whilst they are a bit long for my DS - I'm hoping the extra length will be fine come winter, if not, I'll just chop them off.
I used Avengers Print from Self Confessed Fabric Addicts for my pockets, both the pocket and the lining, I didn't use the pocket detail.
I traced an Avengers Logo for the back pocket and used Heavy Weight Gutterman, in orange that i had in stash. The actual denim came from Lincraft $19m.
I bought 1.5 m and had about 30cm left over, my fabric was 150cm wide.
I went with traditional fly, though I followed my own directions to make it up as I've been making a few men's shorts lately and just used that way of doing it. Traditional waistband with belt loops and a jeans button for closure.
I really do need to make another pair, with the fabric with the correct stretch. You can easily adjust the firmness of the skinny when you are sewing up the side seams. Definitely baste your sides up and try for size, it's very easy to adjust them then. Rather than after you've added your waistband. I could possibly have added a wee bit of elastic in the back waist, but again, he's probably going to grow and he could wear them with no issues of falling down. I did have a bit of problem getting them over his legs, but again this was my error in the choice of fabric.