Saturday, January 5

Hang about Toiletry Bag - Andrie Designs

So way late in my Christmas sewing - aka didn't do any.  But I'm trying to catch up now, though a dodgy hand is slowing me up on that :(

Anyways this one is for Iain.  




I knew I wanted a toiletry bag and I tossed up between this and the Retreat Bag, but in the end, this one has pockets and it can be hung up, so it won. 

As it happened, I was in my local quilt store picking up a piece of fabric required for a project (again overdue) and turned to leave and saw Odicoat.  So of course I had to grab some of it cause I've heard nothing but good things about it. 




I've had this lovely pattern for quite some time.  It came in a three pack which included Hang About Toiletry Bag by Andrie Designs, Grace Travel Satchel by RLR Creations and Tiny Essentials Tote Bag by Little Moo Designs. 

When my daughter and her hubby visit I noticed they didn't have a wet pack to travel with their bathroom items, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to make one.

I am also trying to downsize my stash, so this is part of it.


The pattern was clear and concise.    Photos and instructions were easy to follow.   I only made one oops and that was the inside of the top cover - mine is upside down - I have made a note on the pattern so I know which way in future that I would put a directional print.  Fortunately since it was covered with mesh you can't really tell. 





I used Odicoat on the entire interior of the zipped part - I didn't use it on the front flap, I felt that was unneccesary.   The Odicoat was easy to apply and sewing up the laminated cotton was not difficult.  I think it was easier to sew than purchased laminated cotton to be honest.  I didn't find it necessary to use a teflon foot, though I did lengthen the stitch length somewhat. 

I found it quite easy to line, though next time I will be a bit more circumspect with sizing.   





I did use a smaller cording, as I prefer the smaller piped look.   I also would probably leave the hanging hook off it next time as I think you could just use the other findings to hang it.   I would also quite probably use foam next time, at least for the base part to give it a bit more oomph.  I used interfacing and fleece Pellon 640 this time, but my interfacing might need a bit more body.   It certainly stands by itself, but I think I'd like it firmer.

Its a relatively quick sew I think for a bag, and I did it over a few days which just a couple of hours each day - I think it would be much faster next time. 


Pattern - Hang About Toiletry Bag by Andrie Designs 
Fabric - Marvel from Stash
Bag Hardware - Betty Box Pleat
Label - Kylie and the Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment