Wednesday, January 2

Kwik Sew 3884

These are my go to men's shorts.   Whilst I don't make them with the Cargo pockets or the back welt pockets - I could but neither gentlemen I make them for want them, so it seems kinda pointless.







This pattern is the old style Kwik Sew on the heavier duty paper.  I just trace the size I need and use the traced copy - aside from the pockets, belt loops.  These I cut from the paper.


I haven't made any alterations to the shorts, apart from shortening to suit the height/style required.

They go together perfectly every single time.  The instructions are concise and to the point.  The only thing I change up is the overlocking of some of the seams, as I prefer to overlock them beforehand - ie the front seam and the back seam - I overlock these flat rather than as per the direction.

I also fold up and press the hem seam. 






I change up the waistband and don't fold under on the inside.  I get less bulk and don't miss catching any of the seam.

This pair were specifically for Sarah's partner who loves the Lion King.  Fabric has been languishing for oh I'd say two years.  It went missing for a bit but I found it and well its actually not a long sew, I don't know why I didn't just do it.

Size made was the Large, shortened to suit.  Omitted the welt pockets and the cargo pockets.  I did use plain yellow for waistband lining and pockets - cause they are mega fabric hungry and the rest of the Lion King fabric was destined for a skirt for Sarah, so I had to be conscious of what I used.

Belt loops were added to this pair though I've not added them to any other pair I've made but they were requested for this one so I will.

I want to make a pair for Shane before we head off on holidays as well, but i have about 6 weeks, so that's doable. 




All in all, I would recommend this pattern, it sews up well and they look nice.  


Pattern:  Kwik Sew 3884
Fabric:  Lion King from Stash 

Zip:  Dress Zip 
Alterations:  Left off welt and cargo pockets
Size:  L

Label:  Kylie and the Machine 

No comments:

Post a Comment