Sunday, August 7

Salted Caramel Cheesecake

Well this was to be my birthday cake, but this week has been a wee bit busy, so it didn't get baked until Friday.


Unfortunately it didn't go to plan and I was more than a little disappointed in the recipe, don't get me wrong it tastes great, but the instructions were lacking imo and I was left with a soggy bottom :( With much gnashing of teeth and a fair bit of swearing, it is an expensive cheesecake to make, Shane and I manhandled it out of the tin, with it's soggy bottom and onto another baking tray and it went back into the oven with no springform base to crisp up. Which was probably good as after baking for the specified time, I found the base to be decidely uncrisp and pale.

So anyways we didn't get to eat it until last night, it was silky smooth and creamy but we all found it uber rich and I would choose the strawberry shortcake over it. The caramel sauce was delicious and I'm thinking that it will go great over waffles.

So for those that will make it, make sure that you use foil, I did but obviously not in the right way - the directions did not specify wrapping the tin in foil, hence the drowning of the base. The instructions said press biscuit crumbs into a lightly greased 22cm springform cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper.

The recipe is from Donna Hay Issue 58 - it was the cover that won me over, but to spend

Cream Cheese $7.92
Ricotta (from the Deli) $3.15
Scotch Finger Biscuits 500g $1.90
60g of pecans (recipe said almond meal) $1.80
150g Butter .70c
175g brown sugar 40c (aldi brand)
4 eggs $1.20
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/4 teas salt
2 teas vanilla
500ml of pouring cream $2.29
60g butter .30
175g brown sugar 40c

Total $20.06 plus a bit more for the other small items - and I use homebrand basics for baking.

I was left disappointed that I had to figure out a way to rectify the wet bottom.

The instructions to make it were fine, except for that part, and it does taste nice, though for me salted caramel means making the caramel - which this recipe doesn't, but as a dinner party dessert it would work well.

I myself found the base a bit thick and chunky, so I think 500g of bikkies plus nuts was a little too much. And I also found it filled the tin much higher than the photo in the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment